We aspire to be:
- A provider of innovative solutions to partners; delivering projects and services around key issues such as integration, commercialisation and organisational review.
- A highly respected and influential advocate for our members; promoting their leadership of their locality, as well as fighting for them to get the resources, powers and freedoms necessary to perform that role successfully.
- A catalyst for collaborative working; bringing together groups of councils to harness their collective strength and knowledge.
- An invaluable resource of specialist expertise and capacity; providing advice and support to councils on key issues.
The way we work is supported by the following set of principles:
- We are a cross-party, politically led organisation with our members at the heart of decision making and development.
- We harness the expertise, experience and resources of our member councils.
- We seek new opportunities for extending and strengthening the influence of councils.
- We work in partnership with the national Local Government Association and seek mutually to reinforce our respective work on local government’s overall behalf.
- We recognise the different spatial levels that councils operate at, individually, at county and LEP level and regionally, for different objectives and purposes.
- We work across the public sector to support integrated working.
- We focus on the delivery of activities that offer good value for money and are effective.
The East of England LGA is a voluntary body funded by subscription. The 52 local councils in the East of England are all members of East of England LGA. The organisation is governed by the Leader or elected Mayor of each of the 52 councils in the region. The full assembly of the 52 leaders meets twice a year. This is a forum for discussion on common issues, but importantly provides a platform for all leaders to meet and hear from Ministers and other policy makers on key issues. Day to day management is provided by a Management Committee made up of:
- Cllr Tom FitzPatrick, Leader of North Norfolk District Council (Chairman of the East of England LGA)
- Cllr William Nunn, Leader of Breckland Council (Vice-Chairman of the East of England LGA)
- Mayor Dave Hodgson, Bedford Borough Council
- Cllr Roy Davis, Luton Borough Council
- Cllr Kevin Bentley, Deputy Leader of Essex County Council
A smaller Leader’s group and Chief Executive’s group come together quarterly to bring together the county and unitary councils plus one representative from each district area to tackle the strategic issues facing councils across the East of England. These groups are supported by member and officer groups who come together to share experience and work collaboratively by thematic area.
The organisation is staffed by a small core of highly experienced and committed officers. Additionally, member councils can draw upon specialist expertise from the existing associate pool of high quality associates in the East of England LGA Talent Bank.